Interdisciplinary STEM (I-STEM) Experiences
July 15-19, 2019
University of North Texas, Denton, Discovery Park
Welcome High School and Rising High School Students to the UNT Discovery Park Campus!
- Students entering Freshman year to Seniors in High School by Fall 2019
- Students who are interested in enriching their learning with STEM-related activities
- Only registered students for the event are eligible to participate but no registration fees apply (see registration details below)
- In the Interdisciplinary STEM (I-STEM) Experiences Camp, Student Researchers, Staff and Faculty will share their work with registered students to enrich their learning in the STEM fields
- The week-long event will provide opportunities for high-school students to dive into diverse disciplines ranging from chemistry, physics, materials science, electrical engineering, biomedical engineering and mechanical engineering
- Students will learn about career opportunities in STEM pathways and increase their awareness of how STEM can be applied to a wide range of fields including in Naval systems
- There will be practical demonstrations, hands-on learning exercises, and talks infused into the program provided by leaders in the field
- Multiple laboratories located in the College of Engineering at UNT’s Discovery Park and on the main campus will be involved in engaging the students. Topics include, but are not limited to: energy and solar cells, flexible electronics, 3D printing, nanotechnology, organic chemistry, computer chips manufacturing, implantable biomedical devices, metals corrosion and processing, hologram fabrication, untangled gaming event, etc.
- There will be informational materials provided on college scholarship opportunities through the US Navy, DoD and others.
Location and Schedule
Discovery Park at the University of North Texas Campus, Denton, July 15-19, 2019
The program will be set up from 9:30 am - 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Drop off and Pick-up
Drop off will be from 9:15 am – 9:30 am; pick up will be from 3:45 pm to 4:00 pm. Drop-off and pick-up outside of these time slots will not be allowed and late fees will apply.
The Interdisciplinary STEM Experiences Camp is FREE. A boxed lunch will be provided. Please list all dietary restrictions and allergies on the registration form.
Registration and Application Process
For application and all supporting materials, please visit registration page.
Registration will be accepted until 5 pm Wednesday June 12th, 2019. Space is limited, so please register early.
Notification of Acceptance
Notification on Acceptance will be provided by June 17th, 2019.
For general inquiries about the program, directions, etc., please contact Ms. Lisa Thompson, 940-369-5370.
Camp Date: July 15 – 19, 2019
9:30 am to 4 pm
Detailed Agenda is forthcoming
Day 1 - Monday - Nanotechnology, Flexible Electronics
Day 2 - Tuesday – Untangled Gaming Event; Metals Corrosion
Day 3 - Wednesday – Metals Processing, Jewelry Making; Renewable Energy
Day 4 - Thursday – Organic Chemistry; Hologram Fabrication and Solar Cells
Day 5 - Friday – Implantable Biomedical Devices
UNT Discovery Park is located about 5 miles north of the main campus at
3940 N Elm St
Denton, TX 76207
Please visit this page for map and directions. The main entrance to the College of Engineering is right behind flag poles.